Monday, July 9, 2007

iPhones in the Classroom.

After our demonstration in class Thursday night with Dr. Strange's new iPhone I thought of a few practically uses for the iPhone in the classroom setting. The iPod feature of the phone is the first excellent feature that could be used. I will be teaching secondary ed Social Studies so I hope to use lecture as would of my main teaching techniques. Students would be able to download past lectures to their iPhone and use them as a reference for test and other assignments. As a current college student I understand how hard it is sometimes to take great notes while a teacher is lecturing so this would be a very useful tool to use to make sure you didn't not miss anything in the lecture.

Another useful feature of the iPhone is the video capabilities. I personally am a visual learner and love watching films on historical events. The downfall of that is that most films take up so much of the class period. The iPhone would allow students to download required videos to their phone and watch them at their convenience. You could then quiz the students on what they learned from the video. The students could also use the phones internet capability while in class to find information about a particular subject they may be studying at that time.

The iPhone would probably be a great organization tool as well. With a built in calender and notes area, the students would have no excuse for not remembering the date of a test or when an assignment is due. Plus, students would be able to access our classroom home page from their phone to help them keep up with assignments and test date.

These are just a few of the uses I have thought of for the iPhone in the classroom. If I happen to come up with some more ideas, I will be more than glad to make another post! I would love to hear some comments one what you guys think about these ideas!

I have included a couple of links to several different web sites and blogs that discuss the use of iPhones in the classroom!

E-Portfolios for Learning:Apple's iPhone in Education?
The iPhone Scene
3 Features of the iPhone That Will Impact Education

No comments: